Thursday, October 05, 2006

I can't bike...I'm too old!

This post is for all my biking buddies, in honor of all the public meetings we've been to in SF to fight for better biking conditions. At these meetings we frequently hear from a few seniors that it would be unfair or unrealistic to remove a lane of traffic, or remove a few parking spaces, or slow traffic down to make cycling safer and eaiser, because old people can't bike. "It's for younger people, I can't ride a bike." A perfectly healthy senior will say.

eeurope 179

Well of course you can't, you got into a car 50 years ago and never got out! That is what we want to avoid by making cycling so safe in SF that I will be biking all the years of my life, like these folks in Verazdin. Verazdin is a lovely town in Croatia, a potential UNESCO world heritage site, where the baroque old town is mostly closed to motor vehicles.

Rich and I sat at a cafe and calculated the average age of the cyclists go about their business, it was over 50 so these photos are not unusual. Maybe these folks were only going from the market to home, a kilometer or two, but they were doing it by bike.

eeurope 187

eeurope 183

Bike on!

eeurope 176

And never stop fighting for better biking wherever you live.

eeurope 177

eeurope 186

No comments: